Concepts → Dashboard Runtime Filter
A dashboard runtime filter is a user-defined filter for a dashboard. A dashboard consumer creates and applies a filter expression through various interactions such as:
- using the controls in the Filter bar in the dashboard
- selecting a dashboard tab in the Go To menu in an insight
- selecting a dimension or measure value in an insight
- selecting a dimension in the Filter By menu in an insight
For example, for a Listing Table insight, a dashboard consumer may select a value that is a measure. This very insight interaction designates the measure as a filterable column in the filter expression for the dashboard runtime filter.
Once created, the dashboard runtime filter is applied to all applicable insights on all tabs of a given dashboard. The dashboard runtime filter also appears as a filter bar pill.
The filter bar pill shows the filterable column, the filter operator, and depending on the operator, one or more selected filter values.
A dashboard consumer can create a bookmark for an existing dashboard runtime filter.
A dashboard runtime filter differs from a dashboard filter. Whereas a dashboard consumer creates a dashboard runtime filter using the Filter bar or by interacting with an insight, a dashboard developer creates a dashboard filter using a Prompt, Applied Filter, Presentation Variable, or Filter Option.
An example of a filter expression is to return only the rows where the Product Category column has "Electronics" as a row value. In this regard, a filter expression consists of:
- a filterable column, e.g. Product Category
- a filter operator, e.g. equals
- a filter value, e.g. "Electronics"
The filter expression context for a dashboard runtime filter consists of one or more filterable columns.
A filterable column is a column from a physical schema table or runtime business view. A filterable column can be a key, measure, or dimension.
The default behavior of a dashboard is to coalesce a list of dimension columns from all insights on all tabs as filterable columns available in the Filter and Search controls of the Filter bar.
A user interaction with a measure on an insight create a filterable column that is a measure. The filter bar pill for is editable. In this manner, a dashboard consumer can modify the filter operator or filter value for a filterable column that is a measure.
A filter operator defines the operation for the filter expression. The available operators depends on the data type of the filterable column.
|Does Not Equal||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Greater Than or Equals||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Less Than or Equals||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Null (an absence of any value)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Not Null (must contain a value)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|In ( as In a list of one or more values)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Not In ( as Not In a list of one or more values)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Does Not Start With||x|
|Does Not Contain||x|
A filter value depends on the filter operator and is typically one of the following:
- one or more values that you select within the index of the filterable column values
- one or more values that you enter
- a range of values such as a Start Date and End Date or From and To
A filter value can be a scalar value, array of scalar values, or a reference to a variable as follows:
- a filter expression session variable
- an internal session variable
- an external session variable
- a global variable
- a date system variable
- a miscellaneous system variable
A dashboard runtime filter applies the filter expression to all applicable insights on all tabs of a given dashboard.
For a filterable column, an applicable insight meets one of the following conditions:
- the filterable column is a dimension or measure column in the insight
- the filterable column has a sibling dimension column from the same physical schema table, and that sibling is a dimension for the insight
- the filterable column is a dimension that shares a measure on the insight from a common child table with other dashboard insights
If an applicable insight already contains an insight individual filter, a dashboard runtime filter will complement the insight individual filter based on a common filterable column as described above.
If a filterable column is from an Incorta Analyzer View, the applicable insight must contain only measures or dimensions from that Incorta Analyzer View. Similarly, a filterable column is not from an Incorta Analyzer View, the applicable insight must not contain measures or dimensions from an Incorta Analyzer View.