Concepts → Dashboard Filter
A dashboard filter is a filter expression that affects all applicable insight on all tabs of a given dashboard. A dashboard developer with Edit access rights to a given dashboard creates one or more dashboard filters using the Dashboard Filter Manager.
There are for types of dashboard filters:
An example of a filter expression is to return only the rows where the Product Category column has “Electronics” as a row value. In this regard, a filter expression consists of:
- a filterable column, e.g. Product Category
- a filter operator, e.g. equals
- a filter value, e.g. “Electronics”
The filter expression context for a dashboard filter consists of one or more filterable columns.
A filterable column is a column from a physical schema table or runtime business view. A filterable column can be a key, measure, or dimension.
A filter operator defines the operation for the filter expression. The available operators depend on the data type of the filterable column.
|Does Not Equal||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Greater Than or Equals||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Less Than or Equals||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Null (an absence of any value)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Not Null (must contain a value)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|In ( as In a list of one or more values)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Not In ( as Not In a list of one or more values)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Does Not Start With||x|
|Does Not Contain||x|
InQuery typically requires an internal query expression.
A filter value depends on the filter operator and is often one of the following:
- one or more values that you select within the index of the filterable column values
- one or more values that you enter
- a range of values such as a Start Date and End Date or From and To
A filter value can be a scalar value, array of scalar values, or a reference to a variable as follows:
- date system variable
- external session variable
- filter expression session variable
- global variable
- internal session variable
- miscellaneous system variable
- presentation variable
A dashboard runtime filter applies the filter expression to all applicable insights on all tabs of a given dashboard.
For a filterable column, an applicable insight meets one of the following conditions:
- the filterable column is a dimension or measure column in the insight
- the filterable column has a sibling dimension column from the same physical schema table, and that sibling is a dimension for the insight
- the filterable column is a dimension that shares a measure on the insight from a common child table with other dashboard insights
If an applicable insight already contains an insight individual filter, a dashboard runtime filter will complement the insight individual filter based on a common filterable column as described above.